I spent this past weekend in Hamburg, the economically-powerful port town on the northern tip of Germany. The weather was horrible – constantly gray with intermittent rain showers and what felt like 50mph winds. Lovely. Nevertheless, I was out with my camera.
Here’s my Visual Top 10 – not the most beautiful things, but the most, um, interesting….
10. Bizarre vehicles
9. Public bathroom
7. Hamburg Philharmonic (currently under construction) in the newly-gentrified docklands of Hafencity.
6. The Shipyard, Hamburg’s (original) “raison d’être“
5. And with a port comes, shall we say, “adult fun land”. In Hamburg it’s centered around the notorious Reeperbahn Strasse.
3. A “Cultural Moment” at Harry’s Hafenbasar – the only store I know that charges an entrance fee (4 euros).
2. Nautical Architecture – don’t those windows look like portholes??
1. German Wine Festival – In Rathaus Square, under a tent in the spitting rain. Wine, pretzels and schnitzel!
I’m now back in Paris, where it’s a balmy 70 and cloudy….
Alors, à bientôt,
Leave a Comment